- Make A Payment
Water damage alone can be devastating, but other problems come along with it. Mold is one of the worst symptoms of water damage, as it attaches itself to any place with moisture. It can grow in areas out of your sight and continue to grow, causing unseen and continual issues. Unfortunately, if it is not correctly taken care of in the proper timespan, it can take over your entire home and damage your health.
There are several kinds of mold that can come from water damage that can be damaging to your health and property. However, one dangerous type out there is black mold. This type of mold, referred to as “toxic mold” (or more scientifically known as Stachybotrys chartarum), is a dark green or black fungus that grows in high-moisture areas, typically as a result of a hidden leak or unmitigated standing water. Additionally, if the water damage was previously cleaned up improperly, black mold will be attracted to that spot. The most common places black mold is found include around windows, under a bath, inside walls, and under carpets.
Black mold is considered to be a health hazard because of the mycotoxins it produces, which can cause harm to the respiratory and immune systems. However, the effects of black mold vary from person to person, depending on their health, as well as the length of exposure. People who have preexisting immune or respiratory problems are at a greater risk of developing serious problems like lung infections.
With that being said, any level of exposure to mold is not good for the body. If mold is found within the home, even in small amounts, mold removal must be begun immediately to ensure health and safety. Some people can actually be allergic to mold, causing them to have symptoms such as a headache, runny nose, and itchy eyes, nose, and throat. Moreover, mold can trigger attacks in those that have asthma.
Black mold can easily spread spores throughout a home and quickly take over. Knowing this and the severity of exposure, taking steps to prevent its growth is vital. One of the most important things that can be done is to watch out for initial signs of water damage, which includes bubbling paint, warping wood, a spike in the water bill, and musty smells. Eliminating water damage properly before mold can begin to grow can really ensure that a breakout won’t occur in your home. Additionally, make sure that any water problems are taken care of immediately, such as repairing that leaky faucet.
Another contributor to mold growth is constant high moisture levels in the home. High humidity creates excess moisture and condensation. It begins to cause mold problems when the home is regularly at a humidity level of more than 60%.
Beginning the mold removal process on your own can be difficult. Not only do you need to take extra care to ensure that it is completely removed, but the source of mold also needs to be discovered and remedied. If water damage isn’t removed correctly, the mold will continue to come back, no matter how many times it has been removed. A remediation specialist trained in removing mold at Bravo Restoration will use the proper techniques and the right tools to get rid of black mold for good while disposing of it safely.